Berrybrook School
New School House

A New School House for Berrybrook

In 1954 Katharine Mann founded Berrybrook School on what was once Molkiah Farm on Winter Street in Duxbury. In 1966 she established a Board of Directors - “To ensure continuance of present policy of the school, which is to put the interests of the children first, to maintain the atmosphere of freedom of expression within reasonable limits in a home like atmosphere, to offer the children a wide variety of experiences by means of a competent and understanding staff which will help prepare the child for life; to always keep the emotional welfare of the child as the main objective.” In February of 2007, the Berrybrook Board of Directors formed a volunteer building committee comprised of past and present parents, teachers, board members and community members to guide the planning and construction of a new school building.

The new Berrybrook School House is an approximately 5,600 square foot wood framed structure on primarily a single level, with an 800 square foot basement for mechanical and storage areas. The building houses three classrooms, administration, and a multi-purpose space. The building is clad and trimmed with traditional New England clapboard, aluminum clad windows, and an architectural grade asphalt shingle roof. The associated site improvements include the construction of a 54 car asphalt parking lot, storm drainage, playground, and septic facilities to support the building. Construction began in July of 2007, a certificate of occupancy was granted on June 3, 2008 and children began classes in the new building on September 10, 2008.

Architect: Strekalovsky Architecture Inc.
51 North Street
Hingham, MA 02043
Vcevold O. Strekalovsky AIA
Contractor: Acella Construction Corporation
62 Accord Park Drive
Norwell, MA 02061

 

Find us on Facebook